Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2021

matariki

Kia Ora 

WALT:summarise and analyse ideas and information from different texts.

As you may know we are celebrating Matariki for about a month! Matariki means it is the Maori new year! This is a really cool and good time to spend time with you family and learn a lot of cool things about Matariki! This week Ruru is learning and reading about Matariki. We had to watch 2 videos and read 2 story's about Matariki. The videos were really cool because they had a lot of information about Matariki that I didn't know before! They talked about the seven stars and facts about Matariki. The 2 story's talked talked about Matariki, where they can be seen, when you can see them, and other cool facts! They also talked about how some people have feasts and get up before dawn! This week we had to choose 2 create tasks to do out of 4! I loved the create tasks this week because they are all really fun to do. I hope you all like my working that I did this week! I would love it if you could comment and give me some feedback as well. How and what do you do to celebrate Matariki? 

Create task 1. (Must do) For this create task we had to watch 2 videos about Matariki and read 2 story/information about Matariki. Then we had to get a Matariki Summary template and write all the things we learnt in the boxes. For video 1 it had it own box and for the other video and story's/information. I liked doing this create task because you had to make sure you were paying attention to the videos and story's/information.  


June: month of matariki

Maori new year: matariki

Past: what's behind you

Pipiri: first lunar month of the maori new year

Maramataka: maori new year calendar

Wairua: spirit of a person which exists beyond death

Matariki: an open cluster of many stars in te kahui o matariki

Whanau: to be born

Whenua: often used in the  plural

Harvest: framing

Family: best friends

Land: earth

Reflecting: reflecting back to something

Celebration: having a family reunion

Future: what's in front of you 

Present: what's happening now

Storehouse: what's stored in side the storehouse

Spirit: somebody watching 

Calendar: keeping track of the day

Lunar: new moon

Waiti: sweet

Constellation: stars

Korero: talking

Stars: sparkling



1 comment:

  1. Laila
    What a great blog. I can see you have worked really hard this week. I especially like your glossary, it is full of some really interesting work. Next time I would love to see a little more detail in the main facts on task 1. Come to me for a Kahu card. Well done Michelle

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post!